MEET THE SEAWEED SUPERFOOD THAT’S ROCKING THE BROTH WORLD
It's no secret that we get excited about healthy wholesome food packed with natural goodness. And we also like to keep ourselves on our toes by constantly innovating with ingredients to come up with amazing products.
Which is why it's such a delight to introduce you to one of our all-new favourite things: agar agar. In fact, we're the first in the world to use agar agar as the not-so-secret ingredient for our 100% plant-based broths in tea bags.
Bone broths are popular for their health benefits. Our plant-based sipping broths have similar nutritional benefits, thanks to agar agar. Which is great news for vegans and vegetarians (or those who are simply curious about this way of eating). But what the heck is agar agar, we hear you say.
So what is agar agar?
Otherwise known as vegan gelatin, kanten, Japanese gelatin or China grass, agar agar is a jelly-like agent that comes from seaweed (specifically red algae). It makes for a fantastic plant-based alternative to animal gelatin (collagen) because it has no odour or flavour.
In cooking, this versatile food is used to thicken foods, and comes in a number of ways: powder, flake and bar form. Just like chia seeds, the best way to use agar agar is to mix it with liquid and watch transfixed as it magically thickens up your soup, dessert, sauce, broth or ice cream!
If you've never used it before, head to your local health food shop, Asian store or local specialty grocer to try it out for yourself.
Agar agar has been touted as the latest superfood. This unique food deserves its ever-growing reputation because it's packed with health benefits:
- Good for the gut: it's now widely known that health is directly linked to the state of your digestive system and gut. With plenty of fibre content, agar agar helps keep you regular, and relieves constipation.
- Weight loss: Agar agar is low in calories and has no sugar, no carbs, and no fat. Studies have shown that it acts as an appetite suppressor because its high fibre content keeps you feeling full.
- Nutritional star: apart from fibre, agar agar also includes a heap of micronutrients. These include magnesium, folate, iron, calcium and manganese, along with smaller amounts of various vitamins.
- Bone health: our favourite seaweed contains a number of nutrients which are vital for bones and their healthy formation.
- Prevents anemia: it's said that one ounce of agar agar boost you with a third of the recommended amount of iron you need in a day, which helps produce healthy red blood cells and reduces the risk of anemia.
All in all, agar agar is a versatile and super healthy food which will add an intriguing dimension to your culinary diet.
Like to find out more about our 100% plant-based sipping broth bags? Click here