Immune boosting Creamy Mushroom and Thyme Cup of Soup
We love the onset of autumn with mild sunny days, crisp cool nights and the rustle of colourful leaves crunching underfoot. Around this time with the change of seasons our bodies start to pass by the crisp summer salads and nourishing green smoothies and crave warm and nourishing soups and light stews. We still want the convenience of preparing food that is not only quick and easy to make but also ticks all the boxes in terms of nourishing our body. Say hello to homemade mushroom cup-of-soup, the broth sisters style, and whipped up in under 15-20 mins.
For today’s soup we chose mushrooms.
Mushrooms are a powerful source of nutrients including B vitamins, which play an important role in providing energy as well as calming the nervous system, selenium, an antioxidant that protects the bodies cells from damage and boosts the immune system, and the only plant based source of Vitamin D, which is necessary for assisting in the absorption of other vitamins and minerals into the body. Mushrooms also contain choline, an important nutrient that assists with sleep and improving memory. Mushrooms are a great source of fibre, an important element in maintaining the health of the digestive tract and providing a food source for gut microbes.
Thyme is known to benefit our health by relieving stress, reducing respiratory issues, boosting the immune system, improving heart health, is a powerful anti-fungal, and with one of the highest antioxidant concentrations of any herb, it contributes to eliminating free radicals throughout the body.
Add to this the convenience and wonderful gut healing and anti-inflammatory properties of our gelatinous chicken bone broth, the goodness of garlic and the antibacterial and antiviral properties of coconut milk, and you have one very nourishing and potently healthy cup-of-soup to sip and enjoy.
Did we mention that it was so delicious that you might find yourself wanting a cup every other day?
Enjoy and have a great day,
Linda & Jane
(Makes 2 serves)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups of mixed mushrooms sliced ( I used Swiss brown, button and field mushrooms, and 3-4 porcini and oyster mushrooms rehydrated in 1/4 cup of water)
- 1 cup of gelatinous chicken bone broth
- Pinch of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of coconut cream (or fresh cream if you can tolerate dairy)
- 1 tablespoon organic butter
- Sauté garlic and thyme in butter until fragrant and soft.
- Add mushrooms and water from rehydrated mushrooms and cook on low heat for 5-10 mins until mushrooms have softened.
- Add bone broth and continue to cook mushrooms until liquid is almost back to the boil. Simmer gently for a few minutes before stirring through coconut cream and seasoning to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Soup may be served as is, or blended to a creamy consistency in a blender on the soup setting.
- Serve with extra sliced mushrooms and a sprig of thyme.
Melbourne Deliveries Available Now - Online
A reminder we now have a weekly delivery option for Melbourne customers within a 20km radius of North Brighton in Melbourne. Orders need to be in by Wednesday evening for delivery the following Sunday. More details are here.
We will be setting up a broth bar (VEGAN options also available) this Wednesday and from May 2nd, 2018 (and every fortnight there after) at The University Of Melbourne Farmers Market ~ Union Lawn in Parkville. Here you will find your one stop mid-week shop for fresh, local and seasonal produce. Remember to BYO bags!
New this month, we will be attending the Coburg Wellness Market.
Showcasing some of Melbourne's finest crafts, fashion, jewellery, homewares, health professionals, products, food and much more ~ all with a deliberate focus on helping you grow your health + wellness.