Chicken, Corn And Cauliflower Soup
This morning I woke to a dark and dreary sky and I was feeling a little bit melancholy. Just like Eeyore on an average day at Hundred Acre Wood I was looking for something to lift me out of my gloomy state. I was craving some comfort. I could choose therapy, however turning my thoughts to wrapping my hands around a bowl of hot soup and feeling its warmth was somewhat more soul satisfying. If you love soup, and who doesn’t, this recipe is a must try. Help yourself to a bowl full, snuggle up under a cozy blanket and let your troubles drift away.
This stove top Chicken, Corn and Cauliflower is so creamy but completely guilt free & dairy free. For a keto-friendly version, simply remove the corn.
This was so delicious, even the kids approved!
For the soup (Serves 6)
- 1 large cauliflower head, broken into florets (approx. 3 cm)
- 600 ml chicken bone broth
- 1 tbsp “The Broth Sisters” mushroom stock concentrate
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 230g drained Absolute Organic sweet corn kernels
- 30 g salted butter (optional)
For the chicken
- 800 g skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 200 ml chicken bone broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place cauliflower into a food processor and pulse until small pieces are formed. You may need to stop periodically and scrape the sides of the bowl. If larger florets go unprocessed, take them out, transfer the cauliflower pieces to a bowl, and then add back the larger pieces and process again.
- Add cauliflower, 600 ml chicken bone broth, mushroom stock paste and pepper to a large saucepan, bring to boil and the simmer for 10 mins stirring occasionally.
- Add in the butter and simmer for another 10 mins, stirring every so often.
- Add in the corn kernels and cook for another 5 mins.
- In the meantime mix the paprika, salt and onion powder in a small bowl and then sprinkle the chicken thighs with the seasoning.
- In a large fry pan with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken thighs and brown for 4 minutes.
- Flip over and brown for another 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken bone broth, reduce to medium-low, put the lid on the pan and allow to simmer for 5-8 mins or until it is tender and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the fry pan and allow it to rest for a few minutes.
- Shred the chicken by placing the chicken in a large mixing bowl, and using a hand mixer on low speed to break the chicken into shreds. No mixer? No problem. You can shred the chicken the old fashioned way with two forks or your fingers.
- Remove from heat and use a stick blender to blend until your desired consistency. We left it a little bit chunky so that we could enjoy the texture of the corn kernels.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper,
- Divide soup between serving bowls and serve topped with shredded chicken.
- Bon appétit