Black Bean Chocolate Chilli
Mole sauce is a rich and savoury traditional Mexican sauce made of hot chillies and accented with rich chocolate.The sauce is often served alongside rice or tortillas, it goes well with chicken and enchiladas or drizzled over eggs at brunch.
This recipe was inspired by and adapted from a thermomix recipe.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 5 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into halves
- 2 red onions, cut into halves
- 4 garlic cloves, skins on
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 1 - 2 fresh long red chillies, cut into halves and deseeded, if preferred
- 1 carrot, cut into quarters
- 1 celery stalk, trimmed and cut into quarters
- ½ red capsicum, cut into halves and deseeded
- 4 sprigs fresh coriander, leaves only (optional)
- 50 g butter
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 800 g canned black beans, rinsed and drained (approx. 480 g after draining)
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Rapadura sugar
- 50 g tomato paste
- 2 tbsp The Broth Sisters' Vegetable Stock Concentrate
- 50 g dark chocolate (70% cocoa - we used Lindt), grated, plus extra shaved for garnishing
- 250 g filtered water or The Broth Sisters Beef Bone Broth
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a large baking tray (30 x 40 cm) with baking paper and lightly grease paper. Place tomato, onion (cut side down) and garlic onto it. Drizzle with olive oil, ½ teaspoon of the salt and 1 teaspoon of the oregano and roast for 2 hours (160°C). Remove from oven and set aside.
- Chop chillies and place into a deep casserole style saucepan with a splash of olive oil and stir gently over medium heat for 2 mins
- Dice carrot, celery, capsicum and coriander and add to saucepan
- Add butter and stir over medium heat for 5 mins
- Add cumin, paprika, remaining 1 tsp salt and remaining 2 tsp oregano, then cook 2 min over medium heat, stirring gently
- Once cool enough to handle, carefully remove skin from garlic. Add garlic, roasted tomato and roasted onion to saucepan and use a stick blender to combine ingredients.
- Add all remaining ingredients and cook 10-15 min on medium heat or until beans are cooked to your liking
- Season to taste, then serve molè garnished with shaved chocolate, coriander and toasted tortilla strips.
We served ours on a bed of brown rice and quinoa. For a child friendly version omit the chilli.